I put together a mix CD today for Simon who’s celebrating his 60th birthday. He’s the husband of a colleague of mine, and all I really know about him is that he’s English, he’s a semi-pro musician and he likes Keith Jarrett, Juan Gilberto, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan and Hermeto Pascoal. So I thought I might share some tunes from the past few years that he may not have heard.
1. Comets on Fire – Hatched Upon the Age
2. Dungen – Mon Amour
3. Fleet Foxes – Your Protector
4. Frank Black – If Your Poison Gets You
5. George Hrab – One Hypnopompic Jerk
6. Maggi, Pierce & E.J. – Snowed In With You
7. Mars Volta – Vermicide
8. MGMT – Flash Delirium
9. Midlake – In The Ground
10. Roy Zimmerman – Socialist!
11. Seasick Steve – Thunderbird
12. Black Angels – Manipulation
Junior’s empty Pop-Tarts box made a good CD cover. It surprises me that they can be sold under that name in the UK.