ICA Humlegården grocery store, Stockholm
- A great thing about a cross-country skiing holiday is that you don’t feel any obligation to make good use of the ski-lift money you’ve paid. Because you haven’t.
- Gene drives. Amazing, potentially scary piece of science news. Insert code to actively edit the next generation’s genome into the current genome.
- In order to comment on an article on Norwegian Broadcasting’s web site, you first have to pass a test proving your comprehension of its contents.
- Been listening to this excellent country tune, pondering the lyrics. The guy is hitch-hiking, standing at the roadside, praying to God that a car will come by soon. What kind of theology, what kind of world-model does a person have who imagines that praying would help in that situation? Is he expecting Jahweh to rejigger the world state and ret-con somebody with a car into the narrative because he wants a lift? Maybe create a person from scratch?
- Years of research have demonstrated that in a dorm-style fieldwork situation, Swedish students and metal detectorists will go through enormous amounts of sliced bread. My ongoing experiment with a population of Chinese high schoolers and journalists/psychologists (n=2) indicate a radical departure from the previous results.
- Aren’t racist rape fantasies kind of obvious? Time and time again you see these exchanges. Man A: “I’m afraid the dirty foreigners will rape our women.” Woman B: “Shut up, you racist.” Man A: “I hope foreigners will rape you in the BUTT with their THERMOS-FLASK SIZED PENISES!!1!!!1 That’ll TEACH YOU!!!”
- There’s an enormous glut of fine wooden craft objects from the 1980s in Dalecarlia. They’re everywhere, sitting around as abandoned ethnic props. We even found some in the dingy meal room at the public skiing tracks. No second-hand market for them.
- I love tea and toast.
- I enjoy writing this book about castles, but I’m impatient to finish it so I can start applying for jobs outside academia. Tired of working alone and never having any money.
- Listened attentively for the first time to Clapton’s 1977 hit “Wonderful Tonight”, realised that the production details are exactly like on the era’s more polished reggae tunes. Produced by Glyn Johns who never did any reggae records.
- Marita Ulvskog this morning: “The joke here at the EU Parliament is that for meetings, the Swedes will show up first, then the tech staff, and finally all the other attendees.”
Centre Belge de la Bande Dessinée. Amazing Horta-designed building full of comics originals!
Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium. Virgo inter virgines, 1475-1500.