Spring has reached Fisksätra!
In the foreground, a characteristic Swedish archaeological site of the 20th century: the abandoned municipal ski slope. Its construction, use and abandonment all post-date the still-in-use 1913 building in the background.
- “Qualitative research” seems largely to mean “anecdotal material with no statistical representativity”.
- I’m starting a support group for people who think the novel American Gods is not great, not bad, not particularly memorable.
- Woah-ho, dude. Lucid dreaming is when you train yourself to a) know that you’re dreaming, b) direct events in the dream. This researcher has learned to use a brain-computer interface to move a graphic block on his computer screen. Now he’s falling asleep with the headband on and moving that block from inside lucid dreams.
- The YWCA is named Kay-Fuck in Swedish. The YMCA is named Kay-Fum.
- I knew that democratic countries never declare war on each other. Now I learn that democracies also never suffer severe famine. It’s not a normative statement. It’s an historical fact.
- Listened to a podcast where a colleague probably tried to say that he avoids any reductive treatment of Native Americans, but actually consistently said “reductionist”.
- This detectorist I’ve been corresponding with has had a hard time convincing his local museum that what he’s found is pretty damn important. I’m proud to say that I realised immediately what he had turned up. And now the guy has made further finds on the site that will make him impossible to ignore…
- To the chagrin of certain teenagers, a broad coalition of local parents have negotiated a unified bid for when tonight’s exciting party is ending: at midnight.
- There’s a huge recent amateurish mural in this auditorium. Wonder if it will one day be rediscovered behind plasterboard and treated as a valuable piece of cultural heritage. Dear great grandchildren, let me tell you that the generation that commissioned it thinks that it’s embarrassing junk.
- Movie: Sicario. Policewoman becomes spectator / viewpoint character in the CIA’s obscure war against Mexican drug cartels. Grade: OK.
- Movie: The Salesman. Marriage crisis and compromised masculine integrity after a married young woman is assaulted in her home. Grade: OK-but-why-did-this-get-an-Oscar.