Aviation romanticism, St Eriksgatan 25, Stockholm
- Contraceptives really changed society radically. Prior to them literature is full of references to people being too poor to get married. Because getting married was the same thing as having children.
- I’m disappointed with streaming movie services. I thought they were like music services, where it’s a rare exception if some older band’s catalogue isn’t available in full. On Netflix and Viaplay it’s in fact the other way around: you’re super lucky if an older movie is available, and you often have to pay extra.
- Snoop Dogg’s autobiography: The Chronicle.
- Poetry tip: don’t put the word “the” in a stressed position unless you really want to emphasise it.
- Just applied for an academic job. Viewed dispassionately I think I’m a really good fit for the position. But I still feel a bit queasy about it. You see, in Scandinavian academe, when you’re turned down for a job you don’t just get a “Thanks for your interest” letter. You get a document where three highly qualified colleagues explain at length why they think you’re crap compared to applicant A and should only be considered if all alternatives are killed by falling grand pianos.
- A metal detectorist just posted a picture of a recent find on Fb: a 1970s pendant with the Phantom’s protective symbol, the four sabres…
- Confession: when I saw the May The 4th Be With You tweets I thought to myself “But I don’t care about Trek”.
- Wonder if we still have access to apex steam locomotive technology. Or if important parts of it died with that generation of engineers.
- Historical archaeology: I’m not quite sure to what extent I need to cite primary sources and academic discussion among historians. It’s fun but it takes time and is not really my job. I assume that there is room for archaeological research into the material record that uses historians’ results without taking the step itself fully into historical research.
- The Chronicle of Duke Erik gets even better if you read “dude” for “duke” in it.
- I haven’t got a Georgian landscape park with follies and a part-time hermit, but I can at least make syllabub.
- Movie summaries are a huge genre of short films on Chinese YouTube. There are lots of celebrity summarisers. Cousin E thinks there may be several reasons: movies with sexual or political content are forbidden in China, people don’t have much free time, people may think some movies are too scary to actually watch.
- I haven’t found the Philosopher’s stone. But I’ve synthesised its stereo isomere.
- It hasn’t made me rich and employers aren’t fighting over me, but I gotta say, I’ve probably had more fun as a scholar than most of my contemporaries. Eight years ago I was finishing a book about Late Iron Age elite settlement. Three years ago, a book about Bronze Age ritual deposition. And now, a book about lifestyles at High Medieval strongholds.
- Forget about Transylvania. In Myresjö parish, Småland, is a hamlet named Drakulla. On its land is an island in Lake Grumlan with the remains of a modest Medieval manor house. The written sources aren’t strong enough by far for us to exclude the possibility that Vlad Tepesz stayed there.
- Sunset makes me happy-sad.
- Our current situation, with only one hominin species on the planet, is recent and unusual.
Baggensfjärden, windy May