We’ve reached the point where reality has become so completely absurd that sheer absurdity is no longer a reliable indicator that a news item or blog post is actually an April Fools gag. I don’t know whether I should laugh, cry, or crawl into a hole and hide.
Think I’m kidding? Here are a few of the stories I’ve noticed so far today. Try and guess which ones are April Fools jokes, and which are real. I’ll put the answers and links to the sources – I think I’ve got them all right – below the fold.
1. Minor volcanic eruption in Yellowstone Caldera.
2. Following hospitalization of student as result of kick to groin, Conn. school bans all physical contact between students. Parents called in for conference when one student protests by attending school with arms duct-taped to sides.
3. Federally funded abstinence-only group uses machete-juggling clown to illustrate dangers of sex.
4. Justice Department rules that its own prosecutorial misconduct will prevent war crimes and torture investigations from proceeding.
5. Entire colony of Laysan Albatrosses on Oahu vanishes without trace.
6. Howard Ahmanson – Christian philanthropist who provided much of Discovery Institute’s early funding -registers as Democrat.
Take a second and jot down your answers before you check your results.
1: Yellowstone eruption – April Fools.
2: Banning contact – real news. Duct-taped student – real news.
3: Federally funded abstinence clown – real news.
4: Justice Dept. misconduct/torture ruling – April Fools. At least for now.
5. Vanishing albatrosses – real news.
6. Ahmanson = Dem – real news.
Be honest – how many did you get?