Postdoctoral Scholar, Stellar and Exoplanetary Astrophysics and SETI
“Applications are invited for a postdoctoral research associate position to work with Prof. Jason Wright and collaborators.
The ideal applicant will have some combination of:
• experience working with large photometric datasets, especially in the near and mid-IR
• strong coding skills, in languages including IDL
• the ability to independently solve novel research problems, including the application of results from unfamiliar fields
• a desire to work with and assist in advising graduate and undergraduate students;
• a background in identification of intrinsically red objects, such as high redshift objects, ULIRGS or very cool brown dwarfs
• a background in observational stellar astrophysics, especially cool stars, and/or exoplanet detection or characterization.
The successful applicant will:
• hold a 25-50% position working with Dr. Jason T Wright on many projects in radial velocity planet detection and stellar astrophysics; potentially including the acquisition and interpretation of precise radial velocity data from the Hobby-Eberly Telescope and other instruments;
• hold a 50–75% position working with Drs. Jason T Wright and Steinn Sigurdsson on a novel SETI project;
• have access to Penn State`s facilities, including the 11-m Hobby-Eberly Telescope;
A Ph.D. in astronomy, physics, or a related field is required. The position is for one year initially with an extension for additional years possible. The appointment will begin as soon as possible.
Information about the Department can be found at http://www.astro.psu.edu. Penn State has a significant number of researchers studying exoplanets and stellar systems.
Applicants should submit electronic applications (pdf, postscript, or text) containing a curriculum vitae, list of publications, brief statement of relevant experience, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. The review of applications will begin on October 15th and will continue until the position is filled. Applicants whose application files are complete by the deadline (November 1st) will receive full consideration.
Potential applicants who would like more information about the above are encouraged to contact Prof. Wright by e-mail.
Employment will require successful completion of background check(s) in accordance with University policies. Penn State is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity and the diversity of its workforce.”
Ok, this one is a bit different and is going to require some further explanation, which will follow…
We are also looking for possible pre-doctoral researchers.