On the purity of science careers; the waste of civilization and other assorted snippets… and a happy Feast of St Nikolaus
- The Rise of the Science Politician – Matt B. continues provocative Conversations.
There is an interesting thread on this on The Astronomers fb.
- On The Inevitability of Kardashev Civilizations – the Astro Wright continues to lay the ground work for some fun speculation
- Waste Heat: Parametrizing Alien Civilizations – the Astro Wright series continues with a reformulation of the Drake Equation appropriate to K3 civs.
- What Do We Want Graduate School To Be? – astrobites seeks answers to The Letter
- Progress in Quantum Gravity? – claim for observational signature for Quantum Gravity possible in cosmology for low l CMB modes
- An Overmassive Black Hole in NGC 1277 (Nature sub.) – maybe Everything we think we know is wrong…
- On The Optimal Ratio of Academics to Administrators – 3:1
The Actual Local Ratio of Administrators to Academics: 3:1
- Asperger’s Syndrome Struck from Diagnosis Manual (V)
- Coincidentally: promising new drug may provide maintenance support for Autism
If Asperger’s is not in the DSM-V, then most US healthcare companies will not cover the associated costs. Doctors will then move the diagnosis of some Asperger’s to Autism spectrum, but some milder Asperger’s syndrome cases will not be diagnosed as Autistic, and therefore not be insured for any treatment…
- On the Death of the Newspaper – one of the commenters has it right: the correct pay model for newspapers is to lower cost for online subscribers and to hope for more people to sign up – if the marginal utility curve is steep enough and the cost can go low enough this will work.