Is this thing still working?
Ok, it is end of semester and I am out of excuses.
Time to clear out some backlog of stuff to read.
- Am I Wrong? – Bruce Alberts, Editor in Chief of Science, worries about the future.
He is rarely wrong.
- Time Crystals – interesting article from the increasingly pro-active Simons Foundation on Frank Wilczek’s provocative idea on multi-stable ground state configurations that may cycle through different but energetically equivalent configurations. Berkeley group is trying an experimental test of the concept. Won’t be definitive, but may be suggestive.
- “Shame versus guilt in community responses to wrongdoing.” – the always insightful Janet Stemwedel
- Ethics and Evil – interesting musings from the AstroWright.
- Opinions, Morals and What Science Could but Shouldn’t Tell Us – the always insightful Sabine Hossenfelder’s take.
With added references to Sean and Lubos, in agreement.
- Proximate and Ultimate Causes for Publication… – B. again.
- Eating your Sleeplessness – why lack of sleep is bad for you in so many ways.
“Sleep is for the Weak!”
- Stephen Wolfram Uncovers Life on Facebook
In my experience the primary evolution in life, a la fb, is that at some point that very energetic girl from your elementary school finds you for the 10N reunion, and all her friends then find you.
It is a curiously universal and essential process.
Get your α analytics here
- Oldest European Medieval Cookbook Found! – on facebook, natch.
- A Map of the US generated from dollar bill movements. – Fascinating.
What it really proves is that the velocity of money goes to zero right at State College, PA.
I think this is a corollary of the No Hair Theorem…
- State College Ranks as Third Top College Town after Ithaca NY and Ames IA
As Lubos would note, you are free to reject the metric used…
- Math Teacher Explains Math Anxiety
- Understanding Student Weakness
- Turn Your Mobile Into a Scientific Tricorder with These Real-Life Apps – The Evolution of the iPhone
Don’t worry, semester is over, there will be more…