Seminar on Secular Parenting Coming to Raleigh, March 15
Presented by Dale McGowan
Editor/co-author, Parenting Beyond Belief: On Raising Ethical, Caring Kids Without Religion
* How does moral development really work?
* My mother-in-law wants our kids baptized. How can I respond without causing a rift?
* How can I ease my son’s fears about death without pretending there’s an afterlife?
* How can kids learn about religion without being indoctrinated into religion?
Over nine million parents in the U.S. are raising children without religion. The Parenting Beyond Belief seminar, a unique, interactive half-day workshop with author and educator Dale McGowan, offers encouragement and practical solutions for secular parenting in a religious world. Based on the freethinking philosophy of the book Newsweek called “a compelling read,” the Parenting Beyond Belief seminar is empowering secular parents across the country to raise ethical, caring, confident kids without religion.
Participants will learn effective ways to:
* Encourage religious literacy without indoctrination;
* Help kids interact productively with a religious world;
* Help kids develop active moral reasoning;
* Weigh church-state issues in the public sphere;
* Address sensitive issues constructively with religious relatives using the principles of nonviolent communication;
* Help children develop a healthy understanding of death and a joyful love of life;
* Build a family atmosphere of fearless questioning and boundless wonder;
* …and much more.
Location: Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Raleigh
Date/Time: Sat. March 15, 9:00am-12:30pm
Registration is $40 per person or $60 per couple
Registration and additional information at: