Another list of songs I really love, this time leaning a bit on the heavy side.
- I by Black Sabbath (performed by Heaven & Hell). This is one of my favourite Dio-era Sabbath songs, from the underrated Dehumanizer album (Dio/Sabb box set). This sizzling live version is performed by the reformed Dio-era version of the band which is playing and recording under the name Heaven & Hell.
- 30 Days in the Hole by Gov’t Mule. An old Humble Pie song, I like the Gov’t Mule version an awful lot, especially the live version on their Live…With a Little Help from Our Friends CD.
- Dreaming Neon Black by Nevermore. One of my favourite metal bands, this was really the song that got me interested in them about 10 years ago. It’s from their breakout concept album Dreaming Neon Black. This version is from the live CD The Year of the Voyager. Lead singer Warrel Dane’s solo CD Praises to the War Machine is also very good.
- Slingshot by The Joe Perry Project. Lots of great songs on the recent Joe Perry Project CD Have Guitar Will Travel and this is just one of them. Perry’s day job is guitarist for Aerosmith.
- Soul Creek by Black Stone Cherry. Black Stone Cherry is an amazing newish band, a hard rockin’ combination of southern blues rock and heavy metal. Kind of like The Allman Brothers on steroids. In a good way. Either of their two CDs, both Black Stone Cherry and Folklore & Superstition, are well worth checking out.