Another list for your reading, gift giving and collection development pleasure.
- You Are Not a Gadget: A Manifesto by Jaron Lanier
- Deadliest Sea: The Untold Story Behind the Greatest Rescue in Coast Guard History by Kalee Thompson
- Lunatic Express: Discovering the World… Via Its Most Dangerous Buses, Boats, Trains and Planes by Carl Hoffman
- Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Mary Roach
- Come Up and Get Me: An Autobiography of Colonel Joseph Kittinger by Joe Kittinger and Craig Ryan
- More Show Me How: Everything We Couldn’t Fit in the First Book by Lauren Smith and Derek Fagerstrom
- The Wolf: How One German Raider Terrorized the Allies in the Most Epic Voyage of WWI by Richard Guilliatt and Peter Hohnen
- The Wave: In Pursuit of the Rogues, Freaks, and Giants of the Ocean by Susan Casey
- The Gun: The AK-47 and the Evolution of War by C.J. Chivers
- What Technology Wants by Kevin Kelly
- Blind Descent: The Quest to Discover the Deepest Place on Earth by James Tabor
- Eels: An Exploration, from New Zealand to the Sargasso, of the World’s Most Mysterious Fish by James Prosek
- Extra Lives: Why Video Games Matter by Tom Bissell
- The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable by Nassim Taleb
I’m always looking for recommendations and notifications of book lists as they appear in various media outlets. If you see one that I haven’t covered, please let me know at jdupuis at yorku dot ca or in the comments.
I am picking up a lot of lists from Largehearted Boy.
(Yes, I am totally running out of energy on this. Only a few more posts then I’ll start working on the big summary post.)