So, here’s the story. A week or so ago, McMaster University Librarian Jeff Trzeciak gave an invited presentation at Penn State, tasked by the organizers to be controversial.
To say the least, he succeeded. Perhaps the most controversial idea in the presentation was that he would basically no longer hire librarians for his organization, only subject PhDs and IT specialists.
As you can imagine, the library blogosphere and Friendfeedosphere has had a field day with this one.
What follows is a chronological list of all the relevant posts I’ve been able to find.
- 2011.03.02. The Future of the Academic Library: A Symposium
- 2011.03.07. Don’t be a unicorn
- 2011.03.08. Dear Patrick Deane, President, McMaster University
- 2011.03.09. A letter to Patrick Deane, President, McMaster University
- 2011.04.08. Original Jeff Trzeciak presentation at Pennsylvania State University.
- 2010.10.28. Slides of October 2010 presentation, Jeff Trzeciak & Rebecca Jones.
- 2011.04.08. this is not the future of libraries
- 2011.04.08. This is NOT the future of librarianship
- 2011.04.08. The Future of Academic Librarianship?
- 2011.04.09. Valuing Librarian Work: McMaster is Not The Only Model
- 2011.04.09. Cassandra and the future of libraries without librarians
- 2011.04.09. Penn State Visit (post by Jeff Trzeciak)
- 2011.04.10. Thoroughly Modern Karen: A Response to Jeff Trzeciak
- 2011.04.11. do something
- 2011.04.11. Agiat is also Taiga backwards
- 2011.04.11. Shut up, Jeff
- 2011.04.11. This profession is worth fighting for
- 2011.04.11. Hanging together or hanging separately
- 2011.04.11. The latest library drama, in 3 acts
- 2011.04.12. “I’m Nobody! Who are you?” Reactions to Jeff Trzeciak
- 2011.04.12. Code4Lib++, or, Why I’m Still Going to McMaster Even Though Jeff Trzeciak Spreads Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt
- 2011.04.12. Professional future tense.
- 2011.04.12. “Transforming Traditional Libraries”: A great way to end a week
- 2011.04.12. What is the relationship status between The Digital Humanities and The Digital Library?
- 2011.04.13. Anatomy of a Mass Internet Argument (aka “Blog Drama”)
- 2011.04.13. Why All The Fuss Over PhD Academic Librarians
- 2011.04.13. Academic Librarianship – A Dying Profession or An Omen…?
- 2011.04.14. Whither, librarianship?
- 2011.04.15. LIS education, Advocacy, and the Future of Librarianship (and here)
- 2011.04.15. thE librarE without qualitEs
- 2011.04.15. Whither Advocacy?
- 2011.04.16. Are academic librarians becoming extinct?
- 2011.04.16. Penn State Visit (updated post by Jeff Trzeciak; update is undated but added for today)
- 2011.04.16. Preliminary thoughts on McMastergate, or, Why so touchy?
- 2011.04.17. An interesting question for future librarians – McMastergate!
- 2011.04.17. Jumping into the fray…
- 2011.04.18. Academic Insecurity
- 2011.04.19. “The Annoyed Librarian” and McMaster University Library
- 2011.04.19. How are academic librarians perceived in the academy?
- 2011.04.19. Adhocracy and the Transformation of Libraries
- 2011.04.20. A Library without Librarians? The Opinion of a PhD-Librarian on the Jeffrey Trzeciak Controversy
- 2011.04.20. Piling On on the Web
- 2011.04.20. Why librarians don’t need PhDs, but need the sublime.
- 2011.04.21. Profession vs Professionalism
- 2011.04.22. Why I’m not responding to your email right now
- 2011.04.22. Random (Helpful & Fun!) Stuff for Friday
- 2011.04.22. Thoughts on power, privilege, and Steven Abram’s latest
- 2011.04.27. Battle Royal For The Soul Of Librarianship
- 2011.04.28. Civil Wars: On Leadership, Geeks, and Being Nice
- 2011.05.13. Letter to President and Provost and Vice-President (Academic), McMaster University
- 2011.05.14. Show Your Support for Academic Librarianship!
- 2011.05.15. A catalyst for discussion
- 2011.05.16. Thank You for Your Support – Update of May 16, 2011 [1/4]
- 2011.05.16. University Library Budget Problems Result in Loss of Librarian Positions – Update of May 16, 2011 [3/4]
- 2011.05.16. MUALA Review of University Librarian Jeffrey Trzeciak – Update of May 16, 2011 [4/4]
- 2011.05.16. ‘Academic librarians are the future’
- 2011.05.16. May 9th, 2011 Meeting Notes (The Future of Academic Librarianship blog)
- 2011.05.17. University of Regina, Librarians and Archivists Council – Pass a Motion to Support McMaster University Librarians
- 2011.05.17. 500 Student Voices: an idea
- 2011.05.17. 8 Articles about the future of libraries that made me think
- 2011.05.17. The Future of the Academic Librarian — Beware the Squelchers
- 2011.05.17. Future of Academic Libraries Symposium: Heretical Thoughts (Slides)
- 2011.05.18. The future of academic libraries should not be about navel gazing
- 2011.05.18. I wish I had a REAL future crystal ball or a Delorean.
- 2011.05.18. A Librarian Writes to the President of McMaster University (letter here)
- 2011.05.19. Librarians Are the Future, MLS or Otherwise
- 2011.05.19. Future of the Academic Library Symposium: Service To Continue, but in What Form?
- 2011.05.19. Readings on “The Future of Librarianship: IT and DH PhDs”
- 2011.05.19. Office Hours Extra: Heretical Thoughts Sharing
- 2011.05.20. Librarians are the Future – MLS or Otherwise (response to above)
- 2011.05.20. Micah Vandegrift on the librarians of the future
- 2011.05.20. Is anyone asking “What are our professional associations doing about threats to librarianship?”
- 2011.05.20. Don’t discard the librarians
- 2011.05.20. McMaster University Library: A Statement from Librarians Association of the University of Waterloo
- 2011.05.22. Fear and Loathing in Academic Libraries: Shooting the Messenger of Professional Change
- 2011.05.22. A great column in defence of libraries
- 2011.05.23. As Book Warehouses Vanish, Is It Time for Librarians to Stop Running Libraries?
- 2011.05.26. Librarians Are the Future, MLS or Otherwise #Libraries
- 2011.05.27. One More Take on McMastergate: The LAUW Journal Club – April Meeting Recap
- 2011.05.27. In praise of quiet places to think and be inspired
- 2011.06.02. New CNI Conversations: Crowdsourcing & Data; Future of Academic Libraries; Nat’l Approaches to Digital Preservation
- 2011.06.03. Toronto part 4: Nerd herds!
- 2011.06.06. Radical Collaboration: Jim Neal
- 2011.06.10. University of Windsor librarians letter to Dr. Patrick Deane, President and Vice-Chancellor, McMaster University
- 2011.06.11. Re: Graduate student cat question
- 2011.06.16. UTFA Coucil Passes a Motion to Support Academic Librarianship
- 2011.06.22. YUFA’s Librarian Members’ Letter to McMaster President (York University Faculty Association)
- 2011.06.22. MUALA Letters of support – Update of June 22, 2011
- 2011.06.22. REVIEW OF THE McMASTER UNIVERSITY LIBRARY – Update of June 22, 2011
- 2011.06.29. A Response to McMaster University Librarian Jeff Trzeciak from the Edmonton Chapter of the Progressive Librarians Guild
- 2011.06.29. University of Edmonton PLG on McMaster University Librarian Jeff Trzeciak’s rather open comments
- 2011.07.05. Waited unitl the storm blows over!
- 2011.07.14. Changing Roles: Degreed Prototypes
- 2011.08.30. Changes to Liaison / Instruction in the University Library: A Message from the University Librarian
- 2011.09.14. A commitment to librarians is a commitment to scholarship
- 2011.09.21. LIS 7010: Reading Response for September 21, 2011
- 2011.10.01. Academic Librarians Are under Attack
- 2011.11.18. Academic Librarianship: A Crisis or an Opportunity? session by Diane Granfield, Mary Kandiuk, Harriet Sonne de Torrens
- 2011.11.20. Nick Ruest’s (McMaster University Library) Presentation from Symposium: Academic Librarianship at UT Available online…. (text)
- 2011.11.21. Around the Web: The Academic Librarianship — A Crisis or an Opportunity? symposium
- 2011.12.xx. Academic Librarians Are under Attack
- 2011.12.07. The coming adjunctification of academic librarianship
- 2011.12.14. Open letter to McMaster University President, Dr. Patrick Deane, regarding the University Library Review
- 2012.01.13. MUALA Statement on Post-Doctoral Fellows at McMaster University Library
- 2012.01.13. MUALA Statement on the status of the Digital Experience Librarian position
- 2012.01.13. Labour Management Committee | Minutes | December 8, 2011, September 6, 2011
- 2012.01.27. The Canadian Library Association’s Failure to Advocate for Librarians and Libraries
- 2012.01.31. Crisis in Academic Librarianship? Academia and the Era of New Public Management. Text of conference remarks here.
- 2012.02.28. Trzeciak named university librarian at Washington University in St. Louis
- 2012.02.29. University librarian takes on new role
- 2012.02.29. So, then
There’s a pretty lively debate on The Future of Librarianship going on in this Google Doc. Join in!
As usual, if you know of any relevant posts or other online documents that I’ve missed, please let me know in the comments or at jdupuis at yorku dot ca.
I’m still ruminating about my own response to this and will probably get something up in the not-too-distant future.
Update 2011.04.15: Added a few new posts from April 14 & 15.
Update 2011.04.16: Added a couple of new posts from April 15 & 16 and a link to the Google Docs debate.
Update 2011.04.19: Added a couple of new posts up to April 19 & reposted with that date. I’ve also backloaded some posts on the Future of Academic Libraries Symposium which I think is related enough to include here.
Update 2011.04.20: Added another item from April 19.
Update 2011.04.21: Added a couple from April 20.
Update 2011.04.24: Added a couple covering up to April 24. I’ve also expanded the topic to include some posts on online civility that grew out of this and other controversies.
Update 2011.04.28: Added a couple up to April 28.
Update 2011.05.16: Added a couple up to May 16, as the McMaster conference approaches. Also added a straggler from April 21.
Update 2011.05.17: Added a few more from May 15-17. Also, reposted to today’s date for the McMaster symposium.
Update 2011.05.20: Added a few more up to May 20.
Update 2011.06.01: Added a few more up to May 27 and a few earlier stragglers.
Update 2011.07.07: Added a few more up to July 5 and a few earlier stragglers.
Update 2011.12.14: Added a few more up to December 14, including a link to another link dump post on the The Academic Librarianship — A Crisis or an Opportunity? symposium. I may copy those symposium-related posts here at some point.
Update 2012.02.29: Brought up to date with the announcement that Jeff Trzeciak is leaving McMaster.