As you read this, I’ll be at TEDxLibrariansTO helping out with registration. And having a great time talking about librarians as thought leaders!
Question 1: What means should librarians choose to encourage their institutions to embrace change?
I’m not sure I know how to approach even beginning to answer this question other than to just say 42!
However, I was lucky enough to attend Drew Dudley‘s amazing keynote address at yesterday’s York IT Day conference. He really talked about redefining leadership in a such a way that everyday everyone has a chance to add value to their lives and organizations. Everyone can make a difference just by being more mindful of how they conduct their everyday lives.
I really liked how he used six questions we can all ask ourselves everyday to frame his value adding strategy.
With Drew’s permission, here they are:
- What have you done today to be helpful?
- What have you done today to make it more likely you will learn something?
- What have you done today to make it more likely someone else will learn something?
- Have you said something positive about someone to their face today?
- Have you said something positive about someone when they’re not even in the room today?
- What have you done today to be good to yourself?
It’s a start. Make a difference.
(More on the questions forthcoming in Anyone Can Make the Waitress Laugh: ‘Lollipop Moments’ and Redefining Leadership by Drew Dudley)