I’m doing a session at the Ontario Library Conference tomorrow with a few colleagues. The topic is Creative Commons licensing and I’m doing the section on Open Data. It’s a kind of a replay of what we did for library staff about a year ago.
Here’s the info this time:
Thursday 9:05 AM 10:20 AM
Creative Commons and Beyond
Timothy Bristow, Digital Humanities Librarian; John Dupuis, Acting Associate University Librarian, Information Services; Andrea Kosavic, Digital Initiatives Librarian; Sharon Wang, Association Librarian; York University
Learn more about creative commons (CC) and the licensing options available. Open access will be discussed in relation to copyright, clarifying the importance of creative commons. The Panton Principles will be explained, including the role of creative commons in best practices for open data licensing. Other topics include the use of creative commons in education and scholarly publishing, how to find licensed content, and a tool to check attribution will be presented.
And some relevant resources:
- The Denton Declaration: An Open Data Manifesto
- BioMed Central’s position statement on open data
- Creative Commons Licences (good overview from JISC with pros & cons)
- Elsevier agrees UBC researchers can text-mine for citizen science, research tools
- The Digital Public Domain: Foundations for an Open Culture
- Do we need a text-mining manifesto?
- BioMed Central article collection on Data standardization, sharing and publication
- BioMed Central posts tagged Open Data
- Trials journal collection on Sharing clinical research data
- The Benefits of Open Data – Evidence from Economic Research and Part II
- Full text of O’Reilly’s Open Government book
- An Open Mind on Open Data
- And This is Why We Should Always Provide Our Data. . .
- Bulk Downloading, Aaron Swartz, and Terms of Service
- Data access going the way of journal article access? Insist on open data
- Introducing the Leddy Library Dashboard of Open Data and Statistics
- Open Data at The Edmonton Public Library
- City of Toronto Open Data List
- Montreal Open Data portal