It’s been a very long time since I did a Music Monday of any variety, never mind of the Five songs I really love variety. So it’s fun to check in again and share what I’ve been obsessing over on my iPod and on Youtube lately. And oddly, some of these are repeats from earlier lists, probably indicating that my music tastes are pretty consistent.
Anyways, these are all on the blues rock spectrum and every one supremely awesome. These are five songs I just never get tired of.
- Midnight in Harlem by The Tedeschi Trucks Band. This is absolutely my favourite song from the last few years. We saw TTB last summer at the Toronto Jazz Festival and they were amazing. This version is pretty representative of the live versions on YouTube. I’ve highlighted Derek Trucks a bunch of times. The song first appeared on the Revelator album and there’s also a great live version on Everybody’s Talkin’.
- Goin’ Down South by RL Burnside. This is the live version from the Burnside on Burnside. This is simply one of the most intense live blues recordings ever. A must-listen.
- Tell the Truth by Eric Clapton. This version of the old Derek & the Dominoes song is from the 2010 Crossroads Guitar Festival 2010. Doyle Bramhall II and Derek Trucks also contribute.
- How Blue Can You Get by BB King. Simply my favourite blues song by my all time favourite blues performer.
- Road Runner by Bo Diddley. This is a live version that was used in a car commercial a year or two ago, but it’s a great one nevertheless.
And don’t be shy. Add some links to songs you really love.