But we’re only going to talk about the science stuff here.
As the more astute observers among my readership will observe, I still haven’t updated the Pre-Inauguration Edition of this post. Nor should this post really be considered a true beginning to tracking the post-inauguration devastation that the Trump administration will wreck on science, technology, the environment and public health. I’m hitting the high lights here with a more complete accounting to come with the first real chronology post. As well, some of the actions I list below may have been reversed in the days after they were suggested or inacted, but I still include them because the intention to do something negative still counts.
But it’s a start. It’s a wake-up call.
Note: This post will eventually be rolled into the first real chronology of the Trump presidency and science, which I expect to post probably in February or March sometime. My plan is also to disconnect lists of commentary from lists of incidents. In the pre-inauguration post, there are together, which is partly the reason why it’s taking me so long to update. What I will be doing is bare bones lists of commentary fairly frequently and updating the list of incidents only occasionally. Or at least that’s the plan.
Here is a list of the damage done during the first week of the Donald Trump presidency.
- Jan 2017. EPA studies, data must undergo political review before release (more: 1 2 3 4 5 6)
- Jan 2017. GOP makes plans to invalidate Endangered Species Act (more: 1 2 3 4)
- Jan 2017. Donald Trump will eliminate landmark climate protection plan, says first post on White House website
- Jan 2017. Trump’s Wall Could Cause Serious Environmental Damage (more: 1 2 3)
- Jan 2017. Trump Administration Orders EPA to Remove Its Climate Change Web Page (more: 1)
- Jan 2017. Trump Appoints Anti-Regulation Net Neutrality Enemy to Head FCC (more: 1 2)
- Jan 2017. White House orders ‘immediate regulatory freeze’ and proposes slashing regulations (more: 1 2 3 4 5)
- Jan 2017. Donald Trump is the sole reliable source of truth, says chair of House Science Committee (more: 1)
- Jan 2017. Reported Trump Science Adviser Rejects Climate Science and is generally anti-intellectual (more: 1 2 3)
- Jan 2017. Trump’s Anti-Muslim Order Could Have ‘Chilling’ Effect On Science (more: 1 2 3)
- Jan 2017. Climate change summit canceled by CDC amid uncertainty of a Trump presidency (more: 1 2 3 4 5)
- Jan 2017. Myron Ebell, Trump Adviser, Calling for Overhaul of ‘Junk Science’ at EPA (more: 1 2)
- Jan 2017. Trump bans agencies (USDA, NPS, EPA, DoT, etc) from ‘providing updates on social media or to reporters’ (more: 1 2 3 4)
- Jan 2017. Trump’s unsupported claim he has ‘received awards on the environment’ (more: 1 2)
- Jan 2017. Minutes after Trump becomes president, White House website deletes all mention of climate change (more: 1 2 3)
- Jan 2017. Trump Issues Executive Orders Freezing Federal Hiring (more: 1 2)
- Jan 2017. White House warns Prince Charles against ‘lecturing’ on climate change (more: 1)
As usual with these posts, I rely on you, my readership, to catch the things I’m missing. Please let me know in the comments or via email at dupuisj at gmail dot com. Any incidents I report need to be documented in some form on the open web, either a media report or some sort of blog post or something. Suggestions to beef up the “more” sections of each item will definitely be welcomed, especially the ones where I haven’t added to much additional information.