A meme making the
rounds in some circles is this: Prayer for Obama, Psalm
109:8. This is what is known as an imprecatory prayer,
that is, a prayer that expresses ill will toward another.
This particular bit of verse is one of the less appealing and less
inspirational found in the Christian Bible:
- Hold not thy peace, O God of my praise;
- for the mouth of the wicked and the mouth of the deceitful are
opened against me: they have spoken against me with a lying tongue.
- They compassed me about also with words of hatred; and fought
against me without a cause.
- For my love they are my adversaries: but I give myself unto
- And they have rewarded me evil for good, and hatred for my love.
- Set thou a wicked man over him: and let Satan stand at his right
- When he shall be judged, let him be condemned: and let his prayer
- Let his days be few; and let another take his office.
- Let his children be fatherless, and his wife a widow.
Let me tell you how I really feel about this. Some people are
dumb. They let their emotions destroy all vestiges of whatever
logic they otherwise might have been able to muster. They allow
themselves to be led, and to be exploited.
There are some (plural) political parties that stand ready to exploit
such persons. It is part of the gang mentality. The leaders
get others to do the dirty work. The followers do get something
out of it, however. They get to feel as though they are part of a
greater whole, for whatever that is worth. I guess, to some
people, it is worth a lot.
is a primer of the application of imprecatory prayer.
I would like to think this is satire, but sadly, it appears to have
been written in complete sincerity.