ONE note of dismay: They did not include a picture of the boxer they sequenced. WTF???
see more dog and puppy pictures
- Despite Arnies love of getting into the garbage, dogs have much less junk DNA via proviral ERVs than humans (them <0.15%, us 0.8%)
- Of the 407 kinda ERVs, most are gammas (313) and betas (28)
- Only 44 had potentially fully open gag–pol–env
- Only 36 still had their LTRs
- Their ERVs are backwards! With DNA, there really is no ‘wrong’ direction– like how the people in Australia dont feel like they are upside down, the ERVs dont know they are upside down… but being upside down means they cant alter gene expression the same way the ones that are rightside up, relative to the other genes, can. Apparently ERVs that are in the same orientation as the genes, in dogs, have been actively selected against. The older they are, the more likely they were to be backwards.
- New word: putative + protein = PUTEINS LOL!!!
- When they looked at all the putein pols… some of them clustered in a phylogenetic tree with HUMAN ERVs! HERV-Fc. They integrated in dogs and humans long before there was a dog + humans, so we probably didnt get them from each other. It was probably just a kind of virus that was sampling hosts, and was more successful in dogs than it was in primates, as humans just have a handful, and dogs have a bunch. I still like knowing I share a bit of ERV history with Arnieman.
Really neat paper. Needed a piccie of teh puppah, even if it was only in the supplemental. Probably going to email the authors for a piccie. ?