Me, about three weeks ago:
- Scientists hail the prospect of a universal vaccine for flu
- One antibody to bind them all– An antibody that recognizes all strains of influenza A could be a universal vaccine blueprint.
- Universal flu vaccine a ‘step closer’
- Universal Flu Vaccine On The Horizon: Researchers Find ‘Super Antibody’
- Flu “super antibody” may bring universal shot closer
Weve had broadly neutralizing antibodies in HIV World for like, 20 years now. We still dont have an HIV-1 vaccine. While it is ‘hoped’ that identifying these kinds of antibodies will help aid in vaccine design, I am unaware of a real-world example by which one could hang those hopes. There is no precedent for assuming those hopes’ will ever result in ‘better’ vaccines. I wish Influenza World the best of luck in their attempts, but I am not even remotely hopeful for a ‘universal flu vaccine’ from finding these antibodies. Im hopeful for a novel treatment for emergency situations.