Dear Sally Kern–
GO AWAY. NO ONE LIKES YOU.
Yours in Christ–
You know if you just look at it in practical terms, which has destroyed and ended the life of more people? Terrorism attack here in America or HIV/AIDS? In the last twenty years, fifteen to twenty years, we’ve had maybe three terrorist attacks on our soil with a little over 5,000 people regrettably losing their lives. In the same time frame, there have been hundreds of thousands who have died because of having AIDS. So which one’s the biggest threat? And you know, every day our young people, adults too, but especially our young people, are bombarded at school, in movies, in music, on TV, in the mall, in magazines, they’re bombarded with ‘homosexuality is normal and natural.’ It’s something they have to deal with every day. Fortunately we don’t have to deal with a terrorist attack every day, and that’s what I mean.
HIV/AIDS kills gay people so Im not a bad person for saying people shouldnt be gay. Im saving lives!
Well, there are lots, and lots, and lots of problems with this.
This isnt 1985*.
When you combine Sally Kerns ‘HIV only kills teh homoz’ meme with her insistence on non-functional abstinence only education with her denial of evolution– Kerns sentiment contributes to heterosexual women not understanding their risk of contracting HIV, nor do they have access to/know how to use condoms to minimize that risk.
Technically, Sally Kern is very much part of The Problem when it comes to HIV/AIDS, and is helping people kill themselves and others with ignorance.
High-five there, lady.
Secondly, Im going to tell Kern the same thing I told Pope– Their desire to ‘save lives’ is utterly insincere. If they genuinely wanted to use their obsession with lines in the Bible to condemn ‘bad’ behaviors and encourage ‘good’ behaviors and save lives, they would be focusing their efforts on obesity.
* Nearly 67% of Oklahoma adults are either overweight or obese
* The number is 34% for Oklahoma youth
* Overweight and obesity are associated with many health risks, such as heart disease, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, Type 2 Diabetes, and depression
* The estimated cost associated with obesity in Oklahoma is more than $854 million each year.
* This problem affects the health of individuals, families and communities throughout the state.
Oklahomans are at increased risk of dying from heart disease, cancer, and diabetes related complications. They dont have access to fruits and vegetables. And they are not physically active (all the stats you could want here).
Churches are in a perfect position in Oklahoma, as community leaders and social hubs, to be fighting the obesity epidemic in Oklahoma, and they have ‘Biblical’ reasons to be doing just that.
Buuuuuuuuuut they dont. They write books and give media interviews bitching about teh homos and teh coloreds, run for political offices, and hang out with Creationists.
They really care about saving lives, you see.
* From an epidemiology standpoint, we should all be on our knees thanking the male homosexual community for their HIV/AIDS losses. It was nothing more than sheer chance that they were the founder population here in the US– thus when all these young healthy males started coming in sick, and they were gay, it really narrowed down where we had to look to find the culprit. If it had been introduced into the heterosexual population first, teh homoz would have been the protected population, and it would have been a hellovalot harder to figure out what was going on, and it would have been a hellovalot more prevalent when we finally knew where/how to look for it. HIV/AIDS could have been worse, but homosexual males bad luck saved our asses.