… sometimes require hard work, at least when the experimental digs are raised garden beds. Seriously, when was the last time you moved 14.5 cubic yards of topsoil and compost? (Not that I did it all myself, of course. My better half did quite a bit of it, and the Free-Ride offspring even pitched in.)
Pictures of the end result of 4 days of dirt-moving labor:
23 inch deep beds are nice for root development. But that’s a lot of dirt.
It’s a lot of dirt especially when there are five beds to fill. (Plus, mixing the topsoil and the compost in the beds is strenuous exercise.)
That piece of slate propped up on a hunk of wood at the base of the bed in the foreground is actually a ramp that my better half MacGuyvered to make it easier to pour the dirt out of the wheelbarrow and into the beds.
My arms feel a little less like limp spaghetti than they did on Saturday (when we completed the dirt-hauling). This left me able to apply fertilizer and sow seeds in the beds today.
If they don’t grow, I’m going to feel extremely foolish.