This morning was dry and cool and overcast, so the pickings were slim.
I went right to the places where gastropods have been found hiding on mornings like this and came up empty.
Actually, since I cleared some weeds (and some piles of previously whacked weeds and tall grass) yesterday, I figured that maybe there were just fewer hiding places left. It’s even possible that when the piles of weeds and tall grass went into the green bin to go to the municipal composting, some slugs and snails went with their hiding places to be composted.
So, despite the lack of snails and slugs to pick, I felt like I was making some progress.
Then I checked my email.
Friend of the blog Pinko Punko sent me a plot of the snail and slug totals from the first 20 days of the eradication project.
The message that accompanied this plot:
Regression of snail/slug numbers suggests slugs may be infinite, snails finite.
Sigh. Just call me Sisyphus.