This week, the Free-Ride family welcomed a new member.
Snowflake Free-Ride (who also goes by Notorious B.U.N.) is a 9-month old New Zealand White rabbit who we adopted on Tuesday. She is cute, fluffy, and big (nearly 5 kg). And, she seems to be adjusting to life at Casa Free-Ride.
Indeed, Snowflake has her own casita in the back yard. (I was pleased that I managed to assemble it without smashing my finger more than once.) It’s hard to know how Snowflake feels about the scent of jasmine wafting into her hutch, but she has shown a fondness for both lemon balm and lemon thyme.
As well, Snowflake took the comics we laid down in the solid-bottomed side of the hutch and tore ’em up to make a little nest.
Then, she started eating them. We’re guessing that they tasted funny.
We are trying to contain our enthusiasm to let Snowflake find her own way out of the hutch to romp in the yard (heavily supervised, of course — we don’t want any incidents with the random assortment of cats, raccoons, and possums that occasionally wander through).
Today, she poked her head out, but decided not to hop down the gangplank.
The sprogs, of course, have lots they want to learn about Snowflake. And, they are guessing that there may be a few things Snowflake would like to learn about us.
What the younger offspring wants to know about Snowflake:
- When she will poo out the “first run” again (which gets eaten and redigested before the “second run”).
- If she spills the food in her bowl because she’s trying to give it to us.
- If she will knock out her drawbridge by chewing on it.
- If she has ever lived in snow before.
- If she is albino.
What the elder offspring wants to know about Snowflake:
- How do we read bunny body language?
- How good is bunny #2 as fertilizer?
- Which food do rabbits like best?
- Why do they eat newspaper?
- Why are her eyes pink?
What the younger offspring thinks Snowflake wants to know about us:
- If we are nice.
- If we can eat.
- Why our ears aren’t big.
- Why we live outside Casita Snowflake.
- What is a “ploopy”?
What the elder offspring thinks Snowflake wants to know about us:
- Where did their ears go?
- Why do they change pelts?
- Where are their tails?
- Aren’t they cold being bald like that?
- Why are their noses so slow?
Stay tuned as these and other questions are answered.