Draw your pocket protectors, it’s a geekout!
Janet, our lovely resident ethicist has challenged all of the ScienceBloggers to [a geekout][geekout], to determine who, among us, is the geekiest. How could I, a *math* blogger and computer language geek, pass up such a challenge? (Incidentally, Janet, as the person who seems to do more community building and social stuff than anyone else at SB, I think you’ve pretty much disqualified yourself.)
Let’s start with recent stuff.
* I write a blog on theoretical math. Come on guys, how do you think you can compete with that? I spent my first two months at SB writing about *category theory*, a field of mathematics so detached from reality that it’s *inventors* proudly describe it as “abstract nonsense”.
* **I met my wife because she was sitting in the neighboring desk while we were studying for our prelims.**
* I know well over 150 different programming languages. A sampling, off the top og my head:
* C family: C, C++, Objective-C, D, C*, Java.
* Functional: SML, Objective CaML, Haskell, Miranda, Erlang, Clean, Scala.
* Shells: csh, bash, DCL, JCL
* Lisp family: CommonLisp, Scheme, Dylan
* Pascal family: Pascal, Modula-2, Modula-3, Oberon, Ada
* Numeric: Fortran-77, Fortran-9x (9x is really quite different from 77), Sisal
* Misc object-oriented: Smalltalk, Eiffel, Sather, Simula, Beta, CLU, Self
* Distributed: Hermes, Act1, Actor, Occam
* Logic: Prolog, Mercury, Godel
* Misc archaic: Algol-60, Bliss, RPG
* Misc: Turing, Pike.
* Incredibly geeky: Forth, Fifth, Io, Postscript, Factor
* Unbelievably geeky: TECO
* I’ve implemented at least a dozen different programming languages.
* I read programming language specifications and math books *for fun*.
* Sitting next to me where I sit are DVDs for: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Serial Experiments: Lain, Babylon-5, Doctor Who.
* I own and play 10 flutes, and about 30 tinwhistles.
* I listen to music by people like John Corigliano.
* I’ve read “Lord of the Rings” **30** times.
* I’ve read “The Silmarillion” 5 times.
* I have two full bookshelves of RPGs, which I *still* play.
* I build highly detailed scale models of airplanes out of *paper*. (Like what you can see [here][pwb])
* That’s a real picture of me on my blog, balding ponytail and all.
* *I’m sitting here writing a list of reasons why I’m such a big geek*.
Come on, who can compete with *this* in terms of geekiness?!