Suddenly we are talking about “what is science” on scienceblogs.com. Well, according to some of our commenters science is a bunch of stuff that many of us science bloggers never talk about! Which to some extent is certainly true. But we are not a textbook! We are blogger-beings!
1) Science is about material truth. As such, science recognizes the fallacy of truth and at the same time tirelessly works towards ‘knowing’ the truth.
2) If you think about science too much, it begins to become unscientific. It is important to think about science, but one has to know when to stop.
3) The rational explanation is at the core of scientific endeavor. Any enterprise that favors the more rational over the less rational is intrinsically scientific.
4) The Scientific Method, as one famous scientist said, is what we do when we don’t have any good ideas. Observation itself is a creative process, and explanation is even more so. This is left out of most dry descriptions of “the circle of science.” But we know it is there.
5) Science is utterly apolitical. Which, in turn, makes science a powerful political tool. Be careful.