This press release was sent to me from Minnesota Atheists:
2009 is the 200th anniversary of Darwin’s birth and 150th year of this book On the Origin of Species.
We’re celebrating by talking with Dr. Greg Laden, biological anthropologist, U of M. If you haven’t met Dr. Laden, you can get to know him through his nationally known blog. There you’ll find “Congo Memoirs.” his hilarious, hair raising, in-the-wild adventures while doing REAL science.
Similar to 19th century explorers Darwin and Wallace, Dr. Laden writes about tangling with the wild beasts (pythons), disease (malaria), and pirates (real pirates) while deciphering how the world works – we know it as Evolution.
One hundred fifty years after The Origin some of the issues are the same. Our 21st century scientist, Dr. Laden, will give us new insights into how radical the theory was, what’s new in our understanding of it and what to watch for in the future.
Also, on the first segment of the show is a conversation with Don Luce, curator of exhibits at the Bell Museum of Natural History. Don will talk about the Darwin Day party on Feb. 12th at the Museum, the multimedia presentations by U of M scientists and the exhibit of Frans Lanting’s photography.
- The Congo Diaries at Greg Laden’s Seed Media ScienceBlog
- The Voyage of The Beagle at Greg Laden’s Seed Media ScienceBlog
- On The Origins of the Species at Darwin Online
- Celebrate Darwin and Evolution at the Bell by Lynn Fellman, guest post at Quiche Moraine
- Charles Darwin’s Beagle Diaries , by Charles Darwin and Robert Fitzroy
- Abducted by Aliens and Dropped off at the Grand Canyon by Greg Laden at Quiche Moraine
- Bell Museum of Natural History at the University of Minnesota
Listen to AM 950 KTNF on Sunday at 9AM Central to hear Atheists Talk produced by Minnesota Atheists. Stream live online. Out of state listeners can use Zip Code 55112. Call the studio at 952-946-6205 or email us at email@example.com.