You say apostate, I say apostle...

From John Lynch Via Twitter:

PROVO, Utah -- Thousands of issues of the Daily Universe student newspaper at Brigham Young University were pulled from newsstands because a photo caption on the front page misidentified leaders of the Mormon church as apostates instead of apostles.

source

More like this

Somehow I can't see this as truly being an accident. Then again, if they're using a Microsoft product to write some of the stuff, the ever-wise spell-checking could have taken care of it for them.

The caption called the group the âQuorum of the Twelve Apostates.â The mistake happened when a copy editor was running a computer spell check and apostate was suggested as the replacement for a misspelling of apostle.

aaahhhh... how I love spell-checking software.
Such poetry no merely human brain could accomplish.

To PZ "deleter" Myers and group at Pharyngula:

You would not let me post my goodbye message so here it is to you anyway:

Fine. I'll leave the carcas mending to all you mad scientists who know how the world should work to save mankind. I notice I've been diluted by Mr. PZ, so i'll leave. No use staying anyway. It's like telling a brick wall to roll over and play dead and fetch.

I better go before I'm arrested , forced into a gay union (not marriage) Organized by ACORN, represented by the ACLU, and premeditated by Union boss crimelords in Detroit.

Go Toyota!

Goodbye cephalapod mothballs and Gob Dots

See you in the funny papers, be sure to read up on Mallard Fillmore for me.

Try not to let Janine cackle too much when she lays eggs.

Sorry I don;t speak latinese or Mexicanese, so just plain BYE.

Derender, the dangerous.

Unless you can provide proof then they must be apocryphal apostate apostles.

Well, one man's apostle is another man's apostate.

By Ashley Moore (not verified) on 07 Apr 2009 #permalink

I particularly enjoyed this bit from the linked article:

No university or church administrator has sought to punish anyone, Jenkins said.

âThis is extremely rare,â she said. âThe focus today has been how and why the error occurred and what we can do to make sure that this does not happen again.â

I guess she meant to say such mistakes are extremely rare, not the lack of punishment - but, just like with the mistake itself, it makes sense either way.

By Phillip IV (not verified) on 08 Apr 2009 #permalink

It takes so little it seems to move from apostle to apostate and presumably back again. Maybe THAT'S what confession is for! A humbling experience? Doubtful...