Do you have a favorite podcast? A podcast that you tried and hated? An idea for a podcast that should exist but doesn’t? And, do you know of a rating system for podcasts (and should there be one)? As a thought experiment, I propose a Podcast Quality index, or set of indexes. To start, let me propose a set of criteria to evaluate the negatives of a multi-person podcast involving a primary host and a number of co-hosts or guests.
- Number of minutes (or percentage of show) before the first interesting thing is said.
- Number of times the host indulges him or herself in displaying an information-free annoying affectation.
- Number of self indulgent affectations before the first interesting thing is said.
- Percent of times a guest or co-host begins to say something, is interrupted by host, and the guest or co-host never gets to make the point.
- Number of times the host re-indulges in the same “it was funny once” annoying affection during the show, apparently forgetting it had been done before.
- Number of times the host invalidates an interesting or important comment by a guest in the guest’s area of supreme expertise because of a self indulgent annoying affection/absurd belief or fallacy.
- Number of times the host says something a guest or co-host just said as though the host never heard the guest or co-host say it.
- Misogyny bonus points: Number of times a male host steps on a female guest or co-host using any of the above moves divided by the number of time a male host similarly steps on a male guest or co-host.