Sunday’s radio show is going to be a very special treat for all of us. Mike Haubrich and I are going to be speaking with Kevin Zelnio and John Abraham about climate change, global warming, and science vs. denialism.
John Abraham is an expert on Heat Transfer and Fluid Mechanics and stirred up a bit of trouble (in a good way) when he responded to a presentation made by AGW Denialist Chrisopher Monckton at one of our local TRC’s1, Bethel University. Kevin Zelnio is a former Sbling, a science journalist, and member of the blogging teams at Scientific American Blogs and Deep Sea News. He has written on the effects of climate change on the sea life.
It is an especially interesting time to be speaking about climate change and denialism, given the publication just now of a remarkable paper by a climate change denialist in a peer reviewed scientific journal, as well as a second paper that is getting less attention (so far) that does not suggest that global warming is “not real” but that will be used by denialists to do so.
The first paper is described here: On the Misdiagnosis of Surface Temperature Feedbacks from Variations in Earth’s Radiant Energy Balance
The second paper is here: Particles in upper atmosphere slow down global warming
The first paper is a hoax that managed to find its way into a peer reviewed journal, written by well known climate change denialists. The second study actually seems to indicate that things could be worse than they are if there was a different distribution of dust in the climate system, but I hasten to add that I’ve not read that paper yet.
Here are a few other current items you may want to familiarize yourself so that when you sit down with a cup of coffee on Sunday Morning to listen to the show you’ll be very informed.
- Climate Change Update
- “Misdiagnosis of Surface Temperature Feedback”
- Bill Nye: “Science is science is science, bitches”
- Earth’s Climate History: Implications for Tomorrow
- Climate-Science Smackdown, Part 2: Prof. John Abraham wishes more scientists would take a stand
- Global warming denialism? It ends now.
- Abraham reply to Monckton
- Minnesota AGW Denialist Jungbauer Disembowled by Respected News Anchor Don Shelby
- Arctic sea ice discussions
- Why is Anthropogenic Global Warming Denialism Important?
- Confronting Climate Contrarianism II: Methane Accumulation in the Atmosphere
- To catch a fallen sea angel: A mighty mollusk detects ocean acidification
- Are all these tornadoes being caused by global warming?
- Is Sea-Level Rise Accelerating?
- Climate scientists “cleared” (again, still)
- From the Editor’s Desk: Confronting Climate Contrarianism
- Not Good Enough: Copenhagen Accord May Doom Coral Reefs
Feel free to suggest in the comments, below, questions we might bring up with our guests. No guarantees (time is limited) but if we don’t get to them on the show perhaps we’ll address them here.
1Tiny Religious College