… full-flail civil war .. blah blah!
I listened to Bush’s speech this morning on TV. I felt like one of the characters from the Peanuts comic strip as they listened to their teacher talk. Basically, Bush’s speech and the following question and answer period were such a tangled web of lies and “spin” that I hardly know where to start, except to say that Bush appears to be campaigning for the Democrats today.
Several questions that I want to know the answers to;
- What constitutes “victory” in Iraq? What exactly are our objectives there? What are our strategies for obtaining our objectives? How will we know when we’ve “won” the war in Iraq if we don’t have clear and identifable strategies and goals?
- Bush says that people should be held accountable for their actions, yet his administration and his fellow rethuglicans remain above the law (can you say “Foley scandal”?). Considering this, how can the average American take Bush seriously?
- Bush says that the American people should make sacrifices for their national security, yet (if I recall correctly), none of the congresscritters currently in office has sent a son or daughter to war.
- What is happening, diplomatically speaking, between the USA and Iran? How are we going to approach that problem so it can be resolved peacefully? Is it even reasonable to expect that the situation with Iran can be resolved peacefully?
- Why are war profiteers, such as Halliburton, allowed such huge profits while most Americans saw their spending power decrease after accounting for inflation?
- When will Rumsfeld resign?