Living the Scientific Life (Scientist, Interrupted)

Court Date, Part 2

For those of you following my little drama where I am fighting my involuntary lodging in a state-run psychiatric institute, more commonly known as a nuthouse, the latest news is that my lawyer asked for another continuance so I can have witnesses appear in court on my behalf.

So instead of having a court hearing tomorrow, it has been postponed until Thursday, next week.

On one hand, I am happy about this because I am terrified of the building itself where the hearing is held and would prefer to never see it again as long as I live (it makes me feel like I am on trial for murder), but on the other hand, I am really ready to leave this place tomorrow, so I am disappointed.

Anyway, in anticipation of the court date, I spent the better part of today figuring out how to afford my meds such that I can actually make a realistic budget that will cover the costs for all of them. In short, I did a better job on this issue than my social worker did, and my social worker is supposed to know about all the programs that I managed to uncover after poking around on the internet for a few hours.

GAH! Why don’t they just give up already and let me go?? I’ve been in captivity for 105 days so far (or is it 106 days?), not including 4 days spent in the ER. I have not seen or held or heard my birds for 105 days. Geez, I have not been able to pee alone for most of those 105 days.


So what happened next?

How the heck did this nuthouse story get started in the first place?



  1. #1 Lou FCD
    November 29, 2006

    Ahh… You posted this as I was searching for news on this very topic.

    I hope you’re holding up well, and we wish you the very best.

  2. #2 The Ridger FCD
    November 29, 2006

    I was wondering, too – I’m going to take this as a good and hopeful sign. Witnesses can only help you get out. Not being even in the same state I don’t know what I can do to help, but know I’m thinking of you, often.

    I’m sure we all are.

  3. #3 bigTom
    November 29, 2006

    Ouch. I can remember many afternoons visiting the grown son of a woman I lived with at a facility, so I have a slight idea what it is like. I presume the issue of release is whether there is someone to monitor you, in case you stop taking the meds -or regress without realizing it. I hope you have a good close friend nearby who can do this.
    Best of luck.

  4. #4 Alon Levy
    November 30, 2006

    What are the witnesses going to say – that they can provide you with the social network the state believes is a prerequisite to freedom?

  5. #5 Bob O'H
    November 30, 2006

    I had also been wondering…

    I’m optimistic about what will happen, when you eventually have your day in court. In the mean time, I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.


  6. #6 Paco
    November 30, 2006

    Heartfelt wishes here that they, and the judge, remember that to save your life, they have to let you live it, too.

  7. #7 Elf Eye
    December 1, 2006

    Is there any chance that you can use any of the time before the next court date to continue to ‘negotiate’ with your ‘keepers’ as to some sort of accomodation?

  8. #8 William Collins
    December 5, 2006

    Wow, you are certainly having quite the “adventure!” In all seriousness, I wish you the best at the court hearing and hope that soon regain your freedom.

    I have read most all of your blog with alot of interest, and I do think that you write very well, for a scientist, that is 🙂

    Keep you chin up,

    William Collins
    Mountain State University

New comments have been disabled.