That explains the fly in my beer…

As it turns out, researchers have discovered that fruit flies will actually drink alcohol created from rotting fruits to kill off parasitic wasp larvae.

Source:
YouTube Video: Emory University

Milan NF, Kacsoh BZ, Schlenke TA. Alcohol Consumption as Self-Medication against Blood-Borne Parasites in the Fruit Fly. Current Biology Feb 16, 2012.

Comments

  1. #1 Tony P
    February 29, 2012

    One of the best discoveries I ever made was leaving some Pinot Noir at the bottom of a bottle, perhaps 100ml or so.

    Fruit flies love them some Pinot. They love it so much they drink, get drunk, and drown in it.

    So what’s 100ml or so when it comes to a fruit fly free home?

  2. #2 Dr. Dolittle
    March 7, 2012

    I might have to sacrifice some wine and give that a try.