Now that I’ve recovered from my seminar and accompanying cold, here are some links for you. Science firstest:
- I discuss an interesting explanation of why some people don’t get natural selection and macroevolution.
- Deaths from Staphylococcus aureus now exceed those from AIDS.
- While we’re on the subject of S. aureus, here are two sites that tell you how to control MRSA in your school.
- Oh yeah: people with multi-drug resistant TB are still getting on airplanes and traveling hither and yon.
- Ruth Levine compares drug resistance to global warming.
- In this post, I noted that the resistance problem means infection control has gone to shit. This post tells us why.
- One last infectious disease post: ScienceBlogling Revere tells why increased research with dangerous pathogens requires increased monitoring and oversight (like that’s going to happen with this administration…).
- ScienceBlogling PZ describes how he teaches evolution.
- ScienceBlogling Chad points out one difficult challenge for solar power: we need to make lots of solar panels.
- John Hawks takes a sober look at the purported genetics of speech in neanderthals.
- Chris Clarke has a hysterical send-up of evolutionary pyschology—
the discipline that justifies middle-aged faculty sleeping with their graduate students.
- There’s a lot of statistics, but this post about the g-factor is worth it.
- I have some thoughts about framing evolution and power.
- The must-read post: conservatives like High Noon, liberals like Shane
- Lindsay notes that even other
Hessiansmercenaries don’t like Blackwater.
- Dog Nazis???
- Maybe this belongs in the ‘dog-bites-man’ file, but many conservatives are authoritarians.
- Has Rachel Sklar sold out to Howard Kurtz (ick)?
- Katha Pollitt raises the awful specter of the nearly-inevitable whitewashing of the Iraq fiasco.
- Here’s a list of the particulars of the Oral Roberts University scandal.
- Maha discusses the faux outrage and double standard of criticizing presidents.
- This is amazing: fear the Hammer, cable companies! (I’m still laughing).
- Wolfrum has some brilliant satire about security fences.