‘Blue dog’ conservative Democratic Senator Nelson’s list of proposed cuts from the National Recovery and Reinvestment Act was leaked to Huffington Post (the documents are available at TPM). I’ve never understood the Blue Dogs. While conservatives are full blown batshit loony (Tax cuts today! Tax cuts tomorrow! Tax cuts fo’evuh!), there is at least some kind of ideology there (albeit twisted). What motivates the Blue Dogs? Do they like the power of being spoilers? Does it make them feel good when they can be the ones to make the deal? Do they not realize that ‘stimulus’ means spending? Or do they really believe that cutting funding to help rape victims (really) and eliminating the entire NSF increase are actually good?
Below the fold, I’m going to go through some of what Nelson called for (even though his spokesvermin are now claiming that he’s moved away from these positions) because I think it’s important to realize what the ‘conservative’ Democrats actually want to do as opposed to the bromides they love to offer.
Here’s some of the items:
- Eliminating $300 million for USDA facility upgrades. Because that will help improve food safety.
- A fifty percent cut in the NASA exploration budget.
- The entire NSF budget increase ($1.4 billion). That will help. Definitely.
- A 35% cut in the increase for the National Ocean and Atmospheric Administration. Because global warming is for pussies!
- One of my favorites: a fifty percent cut for the Violence Against Women Act. Because I’m sure they deserved it.
Seriously, what the fuck is Nelson’s major malfunction?
- A 38% cut in the increase for the Department of Energy’s Alternative and Renewable Program. We’ve been having a cold winter in Boston anyway….
- A 47% cut in the increase of the EISA technology loan program. Boston. Too cold.
- The entire increase for the DoE Office of Science. Fuckers.
- 100% of the increase for the National Park Service Historic Site Restoration Fund. Because preserving America’s heritage is unAmerican. Or something.
- 100% of the increase to the Smithsonian’s Capital Fund. Something about America’s heritage….
- Eliminating the entire increase for the Department of Education’s Disability Research program. Fucking cripples. You’re supposed to leave them out in the snow to die, anyway. Again, what the fuck is wrong with Nelson?
- 50% of the increase to Head Start. We gave the little shits health insurance through S-CHIP. What else do those freeloaders want?
- Ninety percent of the HHS increase that would have paid for smoking prevention, HIV detection, diabetes detection and prevention, and pandemic flu preparation. Sweet Baby Intelligent Designer, Nelson is fucking evil.
- 100% of the increase for State Department Consular Programs and Services. Because that will help improve our image worldwide.
Another favorite: the entire $39 billion (plus change) that would help decimated state budgets. Because the bestest way EVAH!! to help stimulate an economy in a recession is to cut government spending at the state level….Hunh?
This isn’t even the whole list. But I think it lays out what the consequences of the Blue Dogs’ vaunted ‘fiscal responsibility’ mean. Again, this is a recovery and reinvestment package. Do Nelson and the other Blue Dogs really think that not increasing funding for these programs, regardless of the legislative mechanisms by which we do so, is a good thing?
One of the things that turned people against the social conservatives was the Schiavo incident which made it clear what they really stood for. We can’t let these guys hide behind phrases like ‘fiscal responsibility’ while they do despicable things.