So I recently joined Twitter. So here’s some random thoughts about it:
- De facto blog aggregator. It’s actually a good substitute for an RSS feed, and because it’s very low cost for someone to recommend a post (i.e., they don’t have to blog about it), it’s a really good way to be exposed to posts by people whose blogging you find interesting.
- Blog aggregation isn’t enough. If all your feed is your blog or business feed, I’m not interested either.
- You can Tweet too much. My rule for adding people is that I look at their feed. If there’s too many tweets (>~8/day), I usually don’t add them (occasionally, a master of the form is worth reading). You’re pushing all of the other Tweeties down feed. Do I really need to know the following (in reverse order):
Going to ice cream store.
Just ordered ice cream w/sprinkles
I really like sprinkles
Cara likes sprinkles too
Ugh. What a fucking waste.
- Not much in the way of actual commentary. Maybe it’s too new, or maybe I follow the wrong people, but I haven’t seen any really sharp political or cultural commentary. I sort of hope this remains be the case, since many things shouldn’t be readily addressed in 140 characters or less.
- Humor with 140 characters is hard. Sadly, many don’t realize that, although here’s an exception.
If you tweet, what’s your experience and opinions of it so far? And feel free to leave your feed address below (leave only the name; e.g., “mikethemadbiol”. Sometimes, http links send the spam filter into a tizzy).