While we regularly post lengthy discussions on Obesity Panacea, there are many research updates, news stories, videos, etc. in the field of obesity, physical activity and nutrition that we come across on a daily basis that never grace the pages of the blog. Most of these mini-stories we share with our followers on Twitter, and we encourage those of you with active Twitter accounts to communicate with us there to get real-time updates of all the stuff we are discussing (Follow Peter and/or Follow Travis). For those of you who shy away from Twitter, enjoy below the best mini-stories that we came across during the prior week along with links to the original source so that you can follow the full story.
- Want a workout that will help you survive the Zombie apocalypse? ZombieFit may be for you (ZombieFit)
- Just thinking about fast food can lead to poor decision making. Serious science from scibling Jason Goldman (The Thoughtful Animal)
- Are working mom’s driving childhood obesity? (Dr Sharma’s Obesity Notes)
- London opens the world’s first playground for the elderly (Globe and Mail)
- A fancy hotel that gives you a free meal if you donate some some pedal power – very cool! (Scientific American)
- How to stay safe when you’re cycling (Globe and Mail)
- How to prepare for a a 50k bike ride (Jockology)
- Peter continues his travels through South America. To keep tabs on his trip, check out his travel-blog PhD Nomads.
Those are the stories that caught our eye this week. Hat tip to colleagues Jen Kuk and Meghann Lloyd for sending us the SciAm video and adult playground story, respectively. Enjoy the rest of the weekend and congrats to everyone who took part in the Ottawa Race Weekend!