Nature News has an excellent article about the hype, the challenges, and the potential of synthetic biology. The article quotes Martin Fussenegger, a leader in mammalian cell synthetic biology as saying “The field has had its hype phase, now it needs to deliver.” In order to do so researchers will have to overcome five main challenges:
- Many of the parts are undefined
- The circuitry is unpredictable
- The complexity is unwieldy
- Many parts are incompatible
- Variability crashes the system
The article is a great read, and includes interviews with many of the big names in the field, as well as some lowly grad students like me, so check it out!