Postdocs, APS GQI quantum newsletter, Quantum computing in Waikiki, quantum chicanery, quantum foods.
- Postdocs at NIST: National Research Council Postdoctoral Research Associateships at Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division of the NIST Information Technology Laboratory
- The fall newsletter for the APS Topical Group of Quantum Information, Concepts and Computation is available. Included is a report on a recent quantum computing conference in Iran, as well as statements from the people crazy enough to run the topical group officer positions. Wait, I’m one of those crazies? Doh.
- For those of you quantum computing folks with monster travel budgets, there is a quantum computing conference in Honolulu, Hawaii (QWIKI’08) organized by Colin Williams:
ANNOUNCEMENT / CALL FOR PAPERS
QUANTUM COMPUTING IN WAIKIKI (QWIKI’08)
Honolulu, Hawaii, 18th-20th March 2008
QWIKI’08 is a 3-day symposium within ICCES’08 the “International Conference on Computational and Experimental Engineering & Sciences” that aims to stimulate ideas on practical applications of quantum computers. Physicists, computer scientists, material scientists and computational biologists with an interest in quantum computing are encouraged to attend.
Abstracts (by ___15th December___) are solicited on topics such as:
- Entanglement in bulk materials
- Quantum effects in meta-materials
- Domain formation in quantum systems
- General purpose quantum computers
- Special purpose quantum simulators
- Nanomaterial and nanodevice simulators
- Quantum simulation
- Quantum image, signal & data processing
- Quantum numerical integration and differential equation solving
- Theory of quantum simulation
- Theory of quantum image processing
- Using decoherence & noise constructively
- Exploiting POVMs
- Novel techniques in quantum algorithms
- Specialized quantum architectures
- Error avoidance, mitigation & correction
- Arbitrary state preparation
- Quantum random walks
- Fast quantum transforms
Submit a 1 page abstract, or an extended abstract (up to 6 pages), via the web at http://submission.techscience.com/icces08/login.asp by 15th December 2007 and email Colin.P.Williams[insert at symbol here]jpl.nasa.gov stating your desire to attend the QWIKI’08 symposium.
CONFERENCE / SYMPOSIA DETAILS & AUTHOR GUIDELINES
Conference/Symposia Details & Author Guidelines Available at: http://icces.org/
Registration Fee: US$600 for each participant (+ US$200 for each accompanying person). QWIKI’08 attendees must register for the full ICCES’08 conference via the registration web-page at http://submission.techscience.com/icces08/login.asp. Registration gives you access to all the ICCES’08 sessions & symposia, a welcome reception, banquet, and refreshments.
SPECIAL RATE CONFERENCE HOTEL
A special rate of US$149 per night per room (book by 15th Dec to guarantee this rate) has been arranged with the conference hotel:
Marriott Hotel Waikiki Beach and Spa
2552 Kalakaua Avenue
Honolulu – Oahu, Hawaii 96815 USA
Phone: 1-808-922-6611 /Fax: 1-808-921-5255
- Uncertain Chad asks for examples of Quantum Chicanery.
- Nestle uses quantum theory to optimize food taste, texture, nutrition. Mmm, quantum cookies.