There’s a new initiative to get a presidential debate on issues of science and technology: Science Debate 2008 (list of supporting Important People (capital letters) and bloggers (no capital letters).) I’m all for the idea, since I know little about the candidates positions related to science and technology. Which of course, is a bad excuse, and thus led me to try to dig deep into the intertubes and see if I could find a list of the candidates positions on science and technology.
Here is a collection of some of the relevant links I could find. For some candidates it was quite hard to find any actual stances on science/technology/energy (I’ve added energy since this is often where the candidate talks about global warming and green technology.) Anyone who has more pointers to good content on the candidate’s positions, please comment! After trying to find the relevant comments by candidates, I think I support the idea of a science/technology debate even more. With a few exceptions, these two issues are definitely not highlighted by the candidates, and seeing as how science/technology has probably had the biggest effect on our lives over the last century, I’d hope the candidates would have a little more to say than what I’ve found.
- Joe Biden: Online nation. Climate change. Science funding off the cuff remark. Energy policy.
- Hillary Clinton: Ending the war on science. Energy policy. Remarks at the Carnegie Institution for Science.
- Chris Dodd: Energy.
- John Edwards: Recharging Our Commitment To Innovation To Build One America. Blog interview on science.
- Dennis Kucinich: Energy policy.
- Barack Obama: Technology and Innovation for a New Generation. Energy plan. Obama and bubblesort
- Bill Richardson: Energy policy. More energy policy.
- Rudy Giuliani: NYTimes article on Energy policy. Technology as a tool to keep us safe.
- Mike Huckabee: Energy plan. Not writing a science book.
- Duncan Hunter: I dug, but the best I could find is here for some energy policy discussions.
- John McCain: Speech on energy policy., article on tech policy.
- Ron Paul: Youtube energy video.
- Mitt Romney: Energy policy. Interview on technology issues. Brief technology blurb.
- Tom Tancredo: Interview on energy policy.
- Fred Thompson: Energy policy. Wired interview on technology.