After a comment suggesting that a Science Film festival be held to combat a certain idiotic movie, He of Uncertain Principles agreed, and then the powers that be at scienceblogs decided to hold a poll on the Best Science Movies. And the four choices are….”Contact”, “Gattaca”, “An Inconvenient Truth”, and “Jurassic Park.” To which I can only say…
What! No “Real Genius?” I mean come on! Talk about the ultimate of geeky science movies. Make that geeky physics science movies. Do I even need to count the ways? Okay I guess I do:
- Lasers. Really, really powerful lasers. Lasers so powerful they cut through a campus statue. And lasers which lead to crazy parties with water slides involving a nearby School of Beauty.
- An evil geek. With braces. Which get wired so as to receive voice signals from the good guys. Who pretend they are God. “Hello? Hello, Jesus?… He hung up…”
- Solving long standing problems in gravitational physics: “Would you prepared if gravity reversed itself? The only thing I can’t figure out is how to keep the change in my pockets. I’ve got it! Nudity!”
- A genius who lives in a closet and wears pajamas and ends up winning thirty one point eight percent of the prizes, including a rockin RV.
- A movie which includes the lines: Mitch: “This is coherent light.” Mitch’s dad: “Oh, so it talks. “
- And did I mention lasers? And, by the way, lasers are a young science, you know. And did I mention Val Kilmer and lasers?
Now, I don’t know how I feel about a rumored sequel to Real Genius, and yeah, okay, I’m a bit biased, but still “Real Genius” has got to be one of the top science movies. At least I know it recruited a lot of smart people to go to Caltech (I never met a Lazlo, but I did meat Jordan.) And, did I mention, lasers?