The Perimeter Scholars Institute is a Masters level course designed to prepare students for cutting-edge research in theoretical physics. It looks pretty cool with some outstanding lecturers. The application deadline is February 1. All accepted students will be fully supported. Details below the fold.
Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics (PI) is a leading international research centre whose goal is to catalyze breakthroughs in our understanding of the physical world. PI strives to create a lively and dynamic research atmosphere where many approaches to fundamental questions, both orthodox and unorthodox, are pursued simultaneously and where a balance between formal and phenomenologically-oriented research is established. PI is further committed to interacting and partnering with the surrounding academic community whenever possible, particularly with regards to the inclusion of graduate students. PI is equally determined to promote a world-class outreach program to disseminate the beauty and wonder of the physical world to the general public throughout Canada and beyond.
Perimeter Institute was founded through the generousity, long range vision and determination of Mike Lazaridis, founder and Co-CEO of Research In Motion (RIM) and inventor of the BlackBerry. The Institute began in 1999 with the formation of a Board and was publicly launched in October 2000. Formal research operations began in October 2001 with a modest research staff of nine scientists.
In just under a decade, Perimeter Institute’s international acclaim continues to grow. Since inception, the Institute has:
- Recruited leading researchers of international stature. The Institute currently has over 85 resident scientists, including 10 Faculty, 10 Associate Faculty, 43 Postdoctoral Fellows and 23 Graduate Students.
- Fostered collaborations and research productivity in the national and international scientific communities via over 1000 researcher visits and the presentation of over 1000 seminars and 65 workshops and conferences.
- Contributed over 800 meaningful, peer-reviewed publications.
- Coordinated cross-appointments and collaborated on high-level programming with Canadian universities and top institutes around the world.
- Shared the importance of critical inquiry and scientific discovery with students, teachers and the general public across Canada and beyond via over 100 public lectures, 30 teacher workshops, 95 in-school presentations and attendance of over 35,000 at festivals and open houses.
- Conducted all operations in partnership with the Governments of Ontario and Canada, serving as a successful example of public and private collaboration in scientific research.
Perimeter Institute has created an exceptional research environment and culture, promoting innovation, cross-fertilization and the emergence of youthful talent. The Institute has recently recruited Dr. Neil Turok from Cambridge, England, as its Director, providing enormous momentum for the ambitious aspirations of PI. Dr. Turok is an internationally renowned and world leading Cosmologist with broad experience in both observational and foundational issues. Under his leadership, PI is now embarking on the next stage of its development, building on its success and assembling a research community of unequalled strength and synergy, consisting of world-leading theorists in a range of complementary disciplines – Quantum Information, Quantum Foundations, Quantum Gravity, Superstring Theory, Particle Physics, Cosmology, Complex Systems and Condensed Matter.
The creation of Perimeter Scholars International is a key strategic priority for PI, designed to generate a stream of brilliant, ambitious and highly-motivated students, bringing new talent and energy into the Institute, into Canada, and into the field internationally.