I am always greatly amused by the display of frustration in which one threatens to leave a country if things don’t change. During the end of the first term of Bush the Second, it was common in the United States to hear liberals express their anger as: “If he wins a second term, I’m going to move to Canada.” (If you go too far to the left, you end up in Canada?) The expression reached spectacular heights, in my opinion, however, when Tina Fey said of Sarah Palin that if McCain/Palin won the presidential election, Fey would “leave Earth.”
But now that the evil liberals have taken over the Washington, it seems to me that the evil right needs a good guide as to where they can move to overcome their ills. So I’ve put together a simple list to help guide you to your own private utopia.
Taxes. First and foremost on the mind of any red blooded conservative, is often taxes (especially with tax day quickly approaching.) Now it is notoriously difficult to gauge tax loads across different countries, especially considering that it depends on your financial circumstances, so instead we can use a different proxy: tax revenue as a percentage of GDP. So you’re a conservative who wants less taxes spent on your government? Why not check out
- Pakistan: 10 percent of GDP
- Mexico: 19.8 percent of GDP
- Turkey: 23.7 percent of GDP
- South Africa: 26.4 percent of GDP
- Japan, 27.9 percent of GDP
- USA, 28.3 percent of GDP
- Romania, 28.6 percent of GDP
Inquiring minds want to know: will Obama’s increasing tax on the rich mean a boom in the Romanian luxury market?
Gold Standard: A favorite less of the center of the conservative right in the USA, and more of the libertarian wing, for a long time I had little hope that anyone who wanted to bring back the gold standard would have anywhere to go. But this may be changing. Recently Russia has proposed adding gold as a major component of a new currency being pushed by Russia and China. Who wants to pitch in for a ticket to send Ron Paul to Russia to live?
Capital Punishment: The 2008 Republican platform argued in favor of the death penalty. But if the USA isn’t knocking off enough people for you, then you can always get your fill in the following countries:
- China: 470 executions in 2007
- Iran: 317 executions in 2007
- Saudi Arabia: 143 executions in 2007
- Pakistan: 135 executions
- Democratic Republic of the Congo: 100 executions
- Egypt: 48 executions in 2007
- United States: 42 executions in 2007
- Iraq: 33 executions in 2007
Guns: Well I hate to say this, but there are few options when it comes to owning guns. In this case, the USA is by and far the leader. But if you just can’t take it and have to move, how about:
- United States: 90.0 guns per 100 people
- Yemen: 61.0 guns per 100 people
- Switzerland: 46.0 guns per 100 people
- Iraq: 39.0 guns per 100 people
- Serbia: 37.5 guns per 100 people
- France: 32.0 guns per 100 people
- Finland: 32.0 guns per 100 people
- Canada: 31.5 guns per 100 people
Hey, and in Canada, you can even use them to keep those evil liberals who’ve moved up north off your property!
Anyone seeking further guidance on where they should move to, given their political beliefs, should feel free to comment and I and others will be happy to try to find a good match!