As mentioned previously, I’m giving a talk at the University of Maryland, College Park this Thursday, Feb 4 at 3:30 pm in the Lecture Hall (room 1110) in the Kim Engineering Building. The title of the talk is “Talking to My Dog About Science: Why Public Communication of Science Matters, and How Weblogs Can Help”– stop by if you’re in the area.
I’ll be in the DC area on Friday as well, doing some other stuff, and I don’t leave until Saturday. Unfortunately, the DC area is forecast to get heavy snow on Friday into Saturday, and given the way that part of the country gets its knickers in a twist over eight flakes of snow, I can probably expect total paralysis right around the time I’m supposed to be leaving. (This is not one of the things I miss about living in the DC area…)
The problem is, I’m not really sure what I can do about this. At this point, I’m not willing to eat the cost of re-booking plane tickets to an earlier flight, if that can even be done. And it’s not clear what, if anything, I can do about the back end of the trip, weather being famously unpredictable. With my luck, I’d arrange another night in a hotel, only to have the storm fizzle out.
I know I have a bunch of readers in the DC area, and others who are experienced travelers, so I’ll throw this out to you all: What should I do, in terms of contingency plans for the Snowpocalypse 2010? I’m flying in and out of BWI, and staying Thursday and Friday in College Park, if that makes a difference (is BWI more or less snow-competent than the other area airports?).