In which I list some pop song lyrics for you to guess, because it’s Friday and I’m tired.
The other night, on Twitter, Patrick Nielsen Hayden posted a snippet of song lyrics with the hashtag “#greatestalbumsofalltime.” I was bored and looking to kill time, so I followed up with a couple of my own, both of which happened to start with “She said…”
And I said to myself, “Ooh! There’s an idea for a themed guess-the-lyrics blog post.” Thus, this.
The following list is a set of phrases that immediately follow “She said…” (or “she says”) in a pop song (or, in two cases, have “she said” in the middle of the line). I’ve left that phrase out, because I’m lazy, and it makes the game a little harder. Your mission, should you be bored and looking to kill time with a silly pop culture game on a blog, is to guess the song based on the lyric. Post your answer in a comment, and if you like, include a line of your own for others to guess.
- Baby, forever. But I don’t like to be alone, so don’t stay away too long.
- You’re pretty good with words, but words won’t save your life.
- Nothing, man, it’s stolen.
- I ain’t gonna do anything sexual with you, I’m kinda saving myself for the scene.
- Dear boy, gonna make you a man.
- I thought you’d never say hello, you look like the silent type.
- Sonny, move out to the country.
- So long, Norman.
- Oh, baby, I feel so down, way to turn me off when I feel left out.
- She’d like to meet a boy who looks like Elvis.
- Son, have I got a little story for you.
- I’ll turn you on sonny to something strong, if you play that song with the funky break.
- You’ve taken me for granted because I please you.
- I gotta go, but my friend can stick around.
- Money is like us in time, it lies but can’t stand up.
- Pardon me, are you ballin’?
- Oh man, you foolish man, it surely sounds like hell. You might be lord of half the world, you’ll not own me as well
- I’m so obsessed that I’m becoming a bore.
- Tell me, are you a Christian, child?
- She’d always been a dancer. She worked in fifteen clubs a day.
These cover a pretty wide range of stuff, and I think they’re all identifiable from these lines. Several of these are godawful earworms, once you recognize them. Two are by the same band, one exists in two well-known versions.