I work at Emotiv and stumbled upon this site by chance.
As you guys seem to have the most knowledge in this area compared to other forums, I can tell you the following:
1. It is an EEG system (new technology that required no gel)
2. It’s developed based on the latest breakthoughs in neuroscience. Emotiv has developed a highly sophisicated algorithm (patent pending) to “unfold the cortex” (which individualized across peopl like finger prints) to map a thought signal to it’s source.
3. Current and pass EEG systems have not gone very far because they attached the well-known brain states (relax, attention, meditative, etc…) with actions in the applications. They do not allow you to think the way you think about the actions. In other words, you train your brain to learn how to do an action. At Emotiv, we have built an extensive machine learning system that allow US to train the machine how we think. Hence, we are able to diferentiate between different thoughts (neat huh?).
4. Because of that, training take as fast as 7 secs.
5. We are working on applications to help disabled people but if we are successful with our product launch, within two years, disabled people will be able to get the system for a few hundred dollars instead of tens of thousand of dollars. Pervasiveness is the key to success of BCI. Hope to have your support on this. And disabled people around the world, PLEASE bear with us for another couple of years, we promise to get you the best systems very cheaply.
6. For the research community, we are anouncing a research kit for universities to use for non-commercial activity in the near future. It would take as fast as 20 secs to set up an patient or a subject for research ( again, no gel). And the good news is, it’s likely to be free for meaningful research projects. We really want to promote this field to be bigger.
7. To see how a game can be controlled by the emotiv headset, check out an video someone post on youtube
And finally, now that we told you quite a bit of info, we have to hire you
Thank you for your support, really appreciated!