Thanks to BoingBoing for this great video of Mr George the SuperMagnetMan, vendor of all manner of high quality, super-powerful magnets. As he demonstrates in this video, these magnets aren’t toys! Or rather they are toys, albeit ones powerful enough to crush your puny, fleshy fingers. The money shot is around the 3-minute mark…
So perhaps you’ve watched the lime getting pulverised into the beginnings of a good pie, and you’re still not convinced these magnets are dangerous. Lucky then, that someone out there was unlucky so you don’t have to be stupid. Here’s the aftermath of Dirk’s encounter with a couple of large neodymium magnets.
Yes, that is Dirk’s fingernail. The rest of his fingertip is slowly congealing between the magnets. Dirk works in a lab with x-ray medical equipment, which probably came in handy:
These magnets jumped 50cm to inflict their attack on Dirk, so I can only echo Mr George’s sage advice:
The problem you run into handling these magnets is making sure you keep two magnets far enough apart that this can’t happen. And far enough apart tends to mean three or four times the distance that you think
Truer words never spoken.