Both ScienceWoman and I are attending ScienceOnline09 in January; ScienceWoman has already gotten your feedback about her session she’s co-chairing with KH, so it is high time for me to ask your thoughts about the session I’m co-chairing with Abel Pharmboy and Zuska.
Our session is titled “Gender in science” but we’re really interested in how blogging and online interactions can provide allies with a way to support women bloggers, bloggers who are people of colour, LGBT bloggers, and other underrepresented bloggers in STEM. So, as examples, in no particular order (but numbered in case you want to refer to particular points):
- How can bloggers find allies?
- How can bloggers be allies?
- Do you consider yourself an ally? In what sense? How does this impact how you blog or what you blog about?
- what can and should allies do to support their peers in blogging?
- How do you act as an ally?
- What do you wish you could do more of as an ally?
- What do you wish allies would do more or less of?
Consider this discussion open for your thoughts! I plan on using this comment thread to bring in some of your voices to the actual face-to-face session as topically appropriate, so consider that too as you add your comments. Thanks!