When the Overlordz announced a pie contest in honor of Pi day, I thought that I might be able to muster something up. But after seeing Janet’s seven(!) delectable pies, Maria’s pie + cocktail, Jess’s “yes pecan” pie, and Zuska’s bird pie, I realized that I don’t have the skills or the time to compete with these kitchen mavens. I’m a busy woman. Most nights dinner is done in a hurry and deserts are a rare luxury. Baked deserts even more so.
But I can make a mean pot pie. It’s quick, it’s easy, and it’s comfort food. I got the original inspiration from Real Simple, but the recipe is accommodating to your tastes and fridge contents. Recipe and pictures below the fold.
- Two refrigerated pie crusts – ready to be unrolled into your pie pan
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 10.5 oz. can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 16 oz. bag of frozen veggies (original recipe called for 8 oz. bag, but more is better!)
- 1 diced potato (an inspired addition by ScienceGrandma)
Substitutions appropriate for your gastronomic preferences, economic circumstances, and larder availability heartily encouraged. I also didn’t measure anything that didn’t come premeasured and it worked out fine. (2 cups chicken ~ 1 thigh +1 breast of a rotisserie chicken) I used Trader Joe’s Fire Roasted Vegetables with Balsamic Butter Sauce because that’s what I had on hand, and I think the sauce added a nice, sophisticated note to the otherwise down-home pot pie. The veggies were also excellent.
- Occupy toddler with playdough at the kitchen table.
- Pre-heat oven to 375.
- In a big bowl, mix the cream-of-soup and the milk together, add the chicken, potatoes, and (defrosted) veggies.
- Unroll a pie crust into the pan. (Compliment yourself on not bothering to make a crust from scratch)
- Fill pie crust with filling. (Admire attractive result.)
- Unroll top crust over pie. (Give extra scraps to toddler who is now done with the play dough).
- Cut vents in crust.
- Send toddler on a mission to find a pan and food items in her play kitchen in the next room.
- Put potpie in oven for 35-40 minutes. Clean up playdough. Clean up dishes. Enjoy time with toddler.
- Check on pie. If crust not pleasantly brown, turn heat up to 425 for 5 minutes.
- Remove pie. Serve and enjoy.