What to read when you’re drinking coffee in your jammies:
- “Antisense Oligonucleotide Therapy for ALS patients?”
Lou Gehrig suffered from ALS, as does Stephen Hawking. A new treatment promises relief for some sufferers of this intractable disease.
- “Mountaintop [Coal] Removal, Part II: Is a stream without fish still a stream?”
Ben Cohen and Dave Ng chat about Appalachia, the march of progress, “and the questions oddly left unasked about coal, energy, and where we get it.”
- “Friday Sprog Blogging: how the dinosaurs really went extinct.”
“Please pass the ketchup. I’m going to make a tar-pit on my plate.”
- “Your Friday Dose of Woo: Would you like a liver flush with that colon cleanse?”
After pointing last week to a candidate for “the grossest thing on the internet” in the course of a post debunking claims about the miraculous effects of colon cleansing, Orac is back to explain why you probably don’t need a “liver flush” (but if you like coffee enemas, well, that’s another thing.
- “More on popcorn workers’ lung”
Effect Measure’s update on the lethal respiratory condition affecting workers who deal with artificial food additives.
- “Friday Flower Porn: New and Improved with Interspecies Sex!”
Hot ‘n’ nasty photos of live, nude flora at Doc Bushwell’s Chimpanzee Refuge (warning: actually completely safe for work, though may be smile-inducing).