I’d really like a do-over on this week. This was probably the least productive, worst week I’ve had in a long, long time. It started with this lovely incident, and went downhill from there. Astute readers may recall that I really couldn’t afford any distractions this week, so the fact that I basically did just the bare minimum to not get me fired really was not my best career move.
So instead of making progress on my frighteningly long to-do list, I’ve been:
- dealing with a backache that won’t go away, no matter how many tried-and-true yoga stretches I do
- feeling intermittently like I am going to lose my lunch
- micro-managing my tenure process AND the investigation into the phone call
- worrying about the glacial pace of the investigation
- trying to track down our campus ombudsperson
- jumping every time my office phone rings or the message light goes on
- looking over my shoulder every time I have to walk across campus at night, or any time others are not conspicuously present
- snapping at Mr. Jane
- making backup copies of the message so that it doesn’t suddenly disappear (which has happened before)
- starting to use the phrase “hostile work environment” when talking about the situation…because really, after this many phone calls, that’s really what this all boils down to….
- brainstorming about which senior women I can and should talk to about this situation
- worrying about the impact this will have on my tenure case
- unable to concentrate on any one thing for longer than 10 minutes
So, in a nutshell, nothing that will get me tenure.
Does this mean that the caller has won this round?